Why Fructose is good food, not evil toxin!
Problems with fructose
Fructose-containing foods may still have a high glycaemic load
Consumed as part of whole fruits and vegetables
1. Bantle JP, Raatz SK, Thomas W, Georgopoulos A (2000). Effects of dietary fructose on plasma lipids in healthy subjects. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 72 (5): 1128–34.
2. John S. White. Consumption and Metabolism. Adv Nutr March 2013 Adv Nutr vol. 4: 246-256, 201E
3. Heinz F, Lamprecht W, Kirsch J. Enzymes of fructose metabolism in human liver. J Clin Invest. 1968 Aug;47(8):1826-32.
4. Taiwan Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi. 1989 Sep;88(9):883-5. Effects of high-fructose (90%) corn syrup on plasma glucose, insulin, and C-peptide in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and normal subjects.
5. Sievenpiper JL, de Souza RJ, Mirrahimi A, Yu ME, Carleton AJ, Beyene J et al. Effect of fructose on body weight in controlled feeding trials: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2012; 156: 291–304.
6.S Chiu, J L Sievenpiper, R J de Souza, A I Cozma, A Mirrahimi, A J Carleton, V Ha, M Di Buono, A L Jenkins, L A Leiter, T M S Wolever, A C Don-Wauchope, J Beyene, C W C Kendall, D J A Jenkins. Effect of fructose on markers of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): a systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled feeding trials. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2014;68, 416–423
7. Abdelmalek MF, Suzuki A, Guy C, Unalp-Arida A, Colvin R, Johnson RJ et al. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis clinical research network. Increased fructose consumption is associated with fibrosis severity in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology 2010; 51: 1961–1971
8. Vos MB, Lavine JE. Dietary fructose in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology. 2013 Jun;57(6):2525-31.
9. Fujisawa T, Mulligan K, Wada L, Schumacher L, Riby J, Kretchmer N (1993). The effect of exercise on fructose absorption. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 58 (1): 75–9.
10. Donahue R, Attaluri A, Schneider M, Valestin J, Rao SS. Absorptive capacity of fructans in healthy humans: a dose response study. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:S709.
11. Fedewa A, Rao SSC. Dietary fructose intolerance, fructan intolerance and FODMAPs. Current gastroenterology reports. 2014;16(1):370